Steam Railway Lines
© 2013 Steam Railway Lines.co.uk All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.
Address: Shackerstone Station, Shackerstone, Leicestershire CV13 6NW
Telephone: 01827 880754 Email: email@example.com
Line length: 4½ miles Gauge: 4ft 8½ inches
Route: Shackerstone to Shenton Journey Time: 20 minutes
Service: August - Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays, 26 / September & October - Saturdays, Sundays / November - Sundays,1, 30
Tickets: Adult £10.00, Child £5.50, Family £27.00 (2 adults & 3 children) unlimited travel on day of issue
Parking: Shackerstone Station CV13 0BS, Market Bosworth Station CV13 0PF, Shenton CV13 0AA
Shackerstone Station: Refreshments, shop, museum, loco shed
Shenton Station: Refreshments
The first trains ran along the length of track that forms the Battlefield Line in 1873. Moira West to Nuneaton and Loughborough services all called at Shackerstone Junction station. In the peak years there were six trains a day each way plus the service to Loughborough. Passenger traffic ended in 1931 but special excursions continued until the early 1960s. Freight was carried until 1964 from Coalville to Shackerstone with the route from Ashbury to Nuneaton being axed in 1970.
In 1970 the Shackerstone Railway Society acquired the completely derelict station at Shackerstone. There was a single track rail line still intact, but priority was given given to installing sidings to store locomotives and to restore the station.
Negotiations were successfully made to purchase the railway from Shackerstone to Market Bosworth, there were not sufficient funds to purchase the section from Shackerstone to Shenton. With the title of Market Bosworth Light Railway the organisation began passenger services in 1979 over the 3 miles of track.
A campaign started in the 1980s to extend the line to Shenton. A tourist centre was being developed by the County Council in the historic Battlefield of Bosworth. Shenton station was ideally situated to serve this new centre. With this new impetus resources were raised to acquire the extra 1½ mile of track and the first trains steamed into Shenton in August 1992. At this time the railway changed its name to the Battlefield Line.
There is an intermediate station called Market Bosworth which did not have any passenger trains stop since April 1931. Volunteers have now reopened Market Bosworth where there is a waiting room, foot crossing as well as a car park. Shenton station is situated in Bosworth Field, the site of the final battle of the War of the Roses. The visitor centre is 10 minutes walk away from the station.
Peckett 0-6-0ST ‘Sir Gomer’, Aveling & Porter 'Blue Circle' 2-2-0WT No.9449 and LNER 4-6-0 No.1306 ‘Mayflower’ are operational steam locomotives, although there are numerous diesel locomotives and three DMUs all located at the Railway. These are owned by members of the Society as is the case with most heritage lines.