Steam Railway Lines
© 2013 Steam Railway Lines.co.uk All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.
Address: Abbey Road, Llangollen, Denbighshire LL20 8SN
Telephone: 01978 860979 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Line length: 7½ miles Gauge: 4ft 8½ inches
Route: Llangollen to Carrog Journey Time: 31 minutes
Service: February, March - Saturdays, Sundays / February 11 - 16 / March 23 - October 6 every day / October - Saturdays, Sundays, 21 - 31 / November 1 - 10 / December 7
Tickets: Adult £12.00, Child £6.00, Family £30.00 (2 adults & 2 children) unlimited travel on day of issue
Parking: Llangollen pay and display car park LL20 8SN
Llangollen Station: Refreshments, souvenirs, gifts
Carrog Station: Refreshments
There were a number of plans to build a railway to Llangollen but none succeeded until the Vale of Llangollen Railway Company gained permission in 1859. Track was laid from Ruabon to Llangollen and on 1 December 1861 it opened for freight traffic with a passenger service following six months later. The line from Ruabon to Barmouth was completed in 1869. From the late 1930s the railway was in decline and closure came on 1 April 1968.
The Flint & Deeside Railway Preservation Society was formed to find a disused line in North Wales suitable for a steam railway. After looking at a number of lines, the decision was made to go ahead with the railway at Llangollen with group being based there from 1975. Two compelling reasons for choosing Llangollen were the delightful scenery and the fact the town was already an established tourist centre.
The council had purchased the track and stations from British Rail after closure. They offered the preservation group a five year lease on three miles of track with the condition that they should lay at least one mile of track within that time.
The Llangollen Railway (LR) ran its first passenger carrying train on 26 July 1981 over a length of line a just over a ¼ mile to Fford Junction. A major push was made to the next station at Berwyn, this section was opened in December 1985. A further extension to Deeside Hault was officially approved on 2 March 1990. Glynyfrdwy was reached in 1992 and the track to the present terminus at Carrog was officially re-opened on 2 May 1996. In future the LR plans to lengthen the line to Corwen. A long term aim is an extension in the other direction to Ruabon and the mainline.
There are five operational steam locomotives located at the LR GWR 0-6-2T No.5643, LMS 4-6-0 No.44806, GWR 2-8-0 No.3802, BR 2-6-4T No.80072, GWR
0-6-0PT No.6430. As an established railway, preference is given to engines that would have worked previously on the line in the steam era. Diesel locomotives and railcars are used in conjunction with steam.
Further photographs of the Llangollen Railway can be found in the Photo Gallery